customer service commitment
Customer Service Commitment
Offer the Lowest Fare Available
AirTran Airways reservations agents are trained to offer customers the lowest available fare in the market. This includes all agents based in AirTran Airways reservations centers representing AirTran Airways. AirTran Airways reservations policy and practice dictates, and our reservations system is designed to ensure, that all reservations agents see and sell the lowest available fare in a given market per flight segment unless otherwise specified by the consumer (i.e. Business Class). Certain fares such as Internet promotions and Net Escapes are not accessible to the reservations agent and must be purchased through our web site (www.airtran.com).
Customer Notification of Cancellations, Delays, and Diversions
Our objective is to operate all flights in a safe, reliable and timely manner, allowing our customers to reach their destinations as scheduled. Periodically there are unanticipated disruptions in service that adversely affect our efforts. It is recommended that all customers reconfirm their itinerary twenty-four (24) to forty-eight (48) hours prior to departure and to ensure AirTran Airways has updated contact information. During disruptions in service whether the flight is canceled, delayed for 30 or more minutes or diverted, AirTran Airways will notify customers of their revised flight status within 30 minutes of becoming aware of the flight irregularity.
Irregular Operations — Cancellations
In the event of a cancellation, AirTran Airways will prioritize rebooking customers on the first available alternate flight to their destination, either direct or possible connections through other airports. When a customer’s flight is cancelled, AirTran Airways will make the following options available to the affected customer(s):
- The passenger will be rebooked on another flight; or
- A credit will be established for the total fare paid for each unused segment; or
- The total fare paid for each unused segment will be refunded
An administrative service fee will not be charged for the option selected.
AirTran Airways customer service representatives will make every attempt to keep customers informed regarding delayed flights. AirTran Airways policy is to communicate delay information at the departure gate every 30 minutes. Details of the delay will be announced as communicated via flight information found in the reservations and check-in computer system and from the AirTran Airways System Operations Control.
AirTran Airways will not begin the boarding process if a flight will be delayed at the gate for two (2) or more hours. In the event of a delay of known duration, we will commence boarding no sooner than one (1) hour prior in advance of the estimated time of departure (ETD). This will ensure that our customers have access to airport facilities, telephones, food and beverage outlets, Customer Service assistance, and other essential services during the course of an extended delay.
Once the affected flight is available for boarding, a general boarding announcement will be made in the departure gate area and a “final call” for that flight will be made in the general terminal area where permitted. However, it is important to remember that general terminal announcements typically cannot be heard in airport concession areas, restaurants, cocktail lounges, outdoor smoking areas and in some cases, restrooms.
A diversion occurs when a flight is directed to an alternate or unplanned airport. Occasionally, this may be necessary due to weather, field conditions, air traffic control problems, or other safety related conditions or issues. When these conditions arise we will always do our best to minimize your inconvenience. During the period of the diversion, the AirTran Airways Flight Crew will act as the onsite customer service representative if the diversion is to an airport not normally served by AirTran Airways.
Overnight Amenities — When an AirTran Airways flight on which the customer is being transported is canceled creating an overnight stay, a customer will be provided one (1) night’s lodging, when available, except in the following situations:
- When the cancellation is due to weather or Air Traffic Control problems.
- The customer whose trip is interrupted at their origin point or domicile.
- When the destination designated on the customer’s ticket and the flight on which the customer is being transported is diverted to another city or airport in the same metropolitan area.
On-Time Baggage Delivery
AirTran Airways will make every reasonable effort to return mishandled baggage within 24 hours. AirTran Airways will advise all customers to place identification on the outside of all checked baggage. This enables our agents to contact passengers who have not claimed their checked baggage.
When a customer reports a delayed bag, AirTran Airways baggage system is used to conduct a search. AirTran Airways will do everything possible to quickly reunite the customer and their baggage.
No claim for loss, or delay in delivery of baggage will be entertained by AirTran Airways unless preliminary notice of the claim is presented to an office of the carrier within four (4) hours after occurrence of the event giving rise to the claim.
When baggage is delayed, AirTran Airways will provide reimbursement for reasonable, actual and verifiable necessities during the delay of your luggage. The interim expense is paid to the ticketed customer who checked the bag(s).
In the unlikely event that AirTran Airways is unable to recover a mishandled bag, any fees charged to transport the bag will be reimbursed to the customer who checked the bag.
Baggage Liability Limit
AirTran Airways baggage liability is based on Department of Transportation standards and rules. AirTran Airways liability is limited to a maximum of $3,400 per ticketed customer unless a higher value is declared at the time the bag is initially checked and applicable charges are paid. Please note that the total liability for wheelchairs and assist devices is based on the original purchase price of the device.
Passengers on a journey involving an ultimate destination or a stop in a country other than the country of departure are advised that international treaties known as the Montreal Convention, or its predecessor, the Warsaw Convention, including its amendments, may apply to the entire journey, including any portion thereof within a country. For such passengers, the treaty, including special contracts of carriage embodied in applicable tariffs, governs and may limit the liability of the Carrier in respect of death or injury to passengers, and for destruction or loss of, or damage to, baggage, and for delay of passengers and baggage.
All bookings completed through AirTran Airways’ reservations or airtran.com will not be held without payment. Reservations may be cancelled without penalty within 24 hours after the reservation is made if the reservation is made one week or more prior to a flight’s departure.
For Passengers purchasing reservations through AirTran Airways Reservations Centers or airtran.com:
- Passengers entitled to refunds for cash purchases, including fees charged to a passenger for optional services that the passenger was unable to use due to service disruptions (cancellations, extended delays, oversale situations or schedule changes) may apply for a refund through any AirTran Airways representative at any AirTran Airways gate, ticket counter, Reservations or Customer Relations office. Refund requests may be accepted in person (at any gate or ticket counter), on the phone (Reservations: 1-800-AIR-TRAN or 678-254-7999) or online.
- If air transportation on AirTran Airways was paid by a credit card, refunds may be processed by any AirTran Airways representative. If air transportation on AirTran Airways was paid by cash or check, a refund check will be processed by the Refund Desk in Customer Relations. AirTran Airways processes requests for refunds within seven (7) days for credit cards and within twenty (20) days for checks/cash. For more information on refunds, please contact our Refund Desk at 866-5-REFUND.
For Passengers purchasing reservations through travel agencies:
- Passengers entitled to refunds for flight cancellations or other reasons may apply for a refund through the original travel agency. The booking agency may require the return of any paper tickets or documents related to e-tickets issued for the reservation.
- If you have questions you may contact us on the phone (Reservations: 1-800-AIR-TRAN or 678-254-7999) or online.
Properly Accommodate Disabled and Special Needs Passengers
AirTran Airways is dedicated to providing safe, convenient, reliable travel to all customers. All AirTran Airways employees are trained to comply with 14 CFR, Part 382, Non-Discrimination on the Basis of Disability in Air Travel. In accordance with Part 382, AirTran Airways will not discriminate against any disabled individual. AirTran Airways employees who work with a disabled passenger will exhibit kindness, awareness and respect toward the disabled passenger. AirTran Airways has a Complaint Resolution Official at every airport to answer questions.
AirTran Airways will provide services and equipment for disabled individuals when requested by or on behalf of a disabled individual. AirTran Airways will not impose charges for providing facilities, equipment or services. Examples of services and equipment that will be provided to disabled individuals include:
- Wheelchair assistance with boarding and deplaning to include the use of an aisle chair when needed.
- Use of ramp or mechanical lifts to assist a disabled passenger where loading bridges are not available.
- Assistance with stowing and retrieving carry-on items and in preparation for eating such as opening packages and identifying food.
- Service animals are permitted in the cabin free of charge.
- Provide stowage of one personal, standard, collapsible, wheelchair, per aircraft, in the passenger cabin of the aircraft on a first come, first serve basis when requested at the gate.
Unaccompanied Minor Travel
AirTran Airways accepts on nonstop and direct (same-plane) flights only, unaccompanied minors no younger than five (5) years of age and no older than eleven (11) years of age.
In accordance with Department of Transportation Enhanced Protections for Airline Passengers regulations (14 CFR Part 259), AirTran Airways has established a Lengthy Tarmac Delay Contingency Plan, has committed sufficient resources to implement the plan and has coordinated the plan with U.S. Customers and Border Protection, the Transportation Security Administration and with all of the airports it serves in addition to diversion airports including agreements to share facilities and gates in the event of an emergency. Onboard delays are situations we always try to avoid. Sometimes weather, gate-space limitations, visibility, airport conditions, mechanical problems, Air Traffic Control requirements or other uncontrollable circumstances cause unavoidable ground delays. In these cases, AirTran will strive to ensure that:
- The aircraft does not remain on the tarmac for more than three hours for domestic flights or four hours for international flights unless the Pilot-in-command determines that there is a safety-related or security-related reason why the aircraft cannot leave its position on the tarmac to deplane Customers (e.g., weather, a directive from an appropriate government agency); or Air Traffic Control advises the Pilot-in-command that returning to the gate or another disembarkation point elsewhere in order to deplane passengers would significantly disrupt airport operations.
- For delays approaching two hours, if the Pilot-in-command of the aircraft deems it is safe to do so, AirTran will provide snacks and drinking water.
- Lavatories remain operable. If necessary and safe to do so, remote aircraft lavatory servicing will be requested and furnished.
- As necessary and safe to do so, first aid and other routine medical services normally offered by AirTran will be provided.
- We will work with airport officials and, if necessary, other airlines to share or acquire equipment such as portable stairs, buses, vans or other means by which Customers may deplane and be safely escorted to a terminal or other reasonable facility.
- Cabin temperatures remain comfortable when the departure of a flight is delayed or the disembarkation of passengers is delayed.
- Customers on the delayed flight will receive notifications regarding the status of the delay every 30 minutes while the aircraft is delayed, including the reasons for the tarmac delay, if known.
- Customers on the delayed flight will be notified beginning 30 minutes after scheduled departure time (including any revised departure time that Customers were notified about before boarding) and every 30 minutes thereafter that they have the opportunity to deplane from an aircraft that is at the gate or another disembarkation area with the door open if the opportunity to deplane actually exists.
Denied Boarding - Fairness and Consistency
It is AirTran Airways policy to never intentionally cause a passenger to be inconvenienced when he/she holds a confirmed reservation on an AirTran Airways flight. However, due to operational requirements, inventory control policies and a varying degree of no-show passengers, there will be times when passengers cannot be accommodated on their flight. When these conditions occur, it is AirTran Airways policy to arrange the first available alternate accommodations as efficiently as possible and/or compensate eligible passengers in accordance with Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations.
During a denied boarding situation, AirTran Airways will make available its "Notice of Compensation for Denied Boarding" brochure. The brochure explains AirTran Airways’ obligations and the passenger’s rights in an oversold flight situation. AirTran Airways will first solicit volunteers to give up their reservations (seat) in exchange for a Future Travel Award. All passengers who volunteer will be compensated at the highest level offered on a specific flight regardless of incremental amounts offered up to the final offer.
When AirTran Airways does not receive enough volunteers, AirTran Airways may deny boarding involuntarily to passengers holding a confirmed reservation. The last passenger(s) to present themselves at the departure gate will be involuntarily denied boarding.
If a customer is ticketed and asks if the flight is overbooked, the employee responsible for such information in their day-to-day work activities would be expected to respond accurately if the information is available.
A passenger denied boarding from an oversold flight shall not be eligible for denied boarding compensation if the flight for which the passenger holds confirmed reserved space is unable to accommodate that passenger because of substitution of equipment of lesser capacity when required by operational or safety reasons.
Denied Boarding Procedures - Passengers Denied Boarding Involuntarily
Passengers are entitled to a payment of “denied boarding compensation” from AirTran Airways unless:
- The passenger has not fully complied with AirTran Airways’ ticketing and check-in requirements, or the passenger is not acceptable for transportation under AirTran Airways Contract of Carriage.
- Passengers are denied boarding because the flight is canceled.
- A smaller capacity aircraft was substituted for safety or operational reasons.
- AirTran Airways is able to place the passenger on another flight or flights that are planned to reach the final destination within one (1) hour of scheduled arrival of the original flight.
If the passenger is involuntary denied boarding, the passenger is entitled to one of the following forms of compensation:
- If the passenger’s arrival at their final destination is greater than one (1) hour but less than two (2) hours (four hours internationally) past their original scheduled arrival, involuntary compensation is 200 percent of the sum of the values of the remaining flight coupons of the ticket to the next stopover, but not more than $650
- If the passenger’s arrival at their final destination is two (2) hours or more (four hours or more internationally) past their scheduled arrival, involuntary compensation is 400 percent of the sum of the values of the remaining flight coupons of the ticket to the next stopover, but not more than $1300.
Passenger Check-In Requirements and Cancellation of Reservations
AirTran Airways’ customers are able to check-in using AirTran.com, kiosks, ticket counters, and sky cap podiums. AirTran Airways’ passengers must retain their boarding pass and be present for boarding at least ten minutes prior to the scheduled departure time. Reservations are subject to cancellation if the following occurs:
- The passenger has not completed payment for the reserved confirmed seat(s) at least thirty (30) minutes prior to scheduled departure of the flight or earlier if a greater time is specified in AirTran Airways’ Contract of Carriage.
- The passenger fails to fulfill the requirements of the fare type to which the reservation applies.
- If the passenger is not present at the boarding gate at least ten (10) minutes prior to scheduled departure time even if the passenger has already checked in for the flight at a place designated for check-in (i.e. the Ticket Counter).
- If such action is necessary to comply with any governmental regulation, or to comply with a governmental request for emergency transportation in connection with the national defense, or whenever such action is necessary or advisable by reason of weather or other conditions beyond AirTran Airways’ control.
- If AirTran Airways refuses to transport the passenger for any of the reasons stated in the “Rules on Reconfirmation of Reservations Check-In Times” and “Refusals to Carry” section of AirTran Airways’ Contract of Carriage.
- Passengers with advance seat assignments must check-in at least 20 minutes prior to scheduled departure to retain their advance seat assignment.
Each aircraft operated by AirTran Airways has one lavatory in the forward and in the aft sections of the aircraft.
Frequent Flyer Rules
Response to Customer Complaints
We have a dedicated, trained Customer Relations staff to answer your inquiries. Express your travel comments by e-mail.